Before starting this tutorial “How to Manage Your Email List Professionally Using MailChimp” You should ask a question to yourself why you want it or is it make a strong relationship with your audience? Every Marketer and blogger have some good amount of audience. So it is beneficial if you manage these audiences through email. Your email Marketing strategy will generate a good ROI If you manage it and send a good email. MailChimp is an email service provider and its build and maintains your email list.
In this article, you’ll learn about How to manage your email list professionally using MailChimp. I am going to teach you to step by step and it will be practical. So, Let’s start.
Step 1 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Get Prepared
First of all, You need to decide why you want to manage your email contact. If you are clear then set your objective and speculate the results you are expecting. Based on your objective, you should select the right email service provider or email marketing tool, collect your relevant emails. Personally, I am using MailChimp.
The features in MailChimp:
- You can update your subscriber for better communication
- You can send Newsletters, Sales Mailer, Update about my Weekly blog posts, Announcements, Auto mailers to your subscribers
- You can send email City wise, Product they are interested in, Month of subscription, Company, Source of Subscription
- You can manage the sources from which you will get all contact details.
Step 2 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Be Aware of Legal Implications
It is most important to read the CAN-SPAM ACT Before planning the Emails. It is a US law for sending commercial Emails. It restricts email marketer to spamming activity. You have to keep some points of ACT in your mind and adhere to this Law:
- You should aware your reader about email service provider (MailChimp, Aweber, and etc)
- You should always write honest subject line
- You should recognize you’re sending an ad
- You should need an easy opt-out option in your every email
- You must mention your address in every email
- You must monitor your emails.
Step 3 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Arrange Data of Your Subscribers
After reading CAN SPAM ACT, You could arrange all the information related to your subscribers. This is totally manual efforts.
- You can add emails of your personal contacts if they may be interested in your service, product or blog.
- If you have some incomplete details of your subscriber like you have only email Id then you can add them to list
- You can use free MailChimp service up-to 2000 subscribers. If you have more than 2000 then it will be paid.
- You must keep first name and second name in a separate column it will help at the time of sending emails.
- You should create an Excel file and put each data in a different-different column, for example, First Name, Email ID, City, Phone, Company, Country, Source, Product, Lead Owner etc.
- You must write the first letter of the first name in capital and there should be no any spelling mistake.
- You must export any Excel file in CSV format.
Step 4 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): SignUp On MailChimp and Create Free Account
In the market, there are a lot of Email service providers for Email Marketing. MailChimp is much better and reliable than others. It has 10 million users in the world. It helps to new users by free services like 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month.
Step 5 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Create Your First Subscriber List
After creating the free account, It’s time to managing your contacts. Your contacts are subscribers here and they will receive your emails from MailChimp. You can create multiple lists or multiple segments in a list. You have to be managed your lists separately.
- You can create many numbers of the list if you will be needed.
- You should keep the email list clean and check the validity of each email through email tester.
- Fill the all details correctly and do this task carefully because it may create a big trouble for you.
- Once the list is created, go to “Import Subscribers” in “Add Subscribers” Section.
- You can upload the CSV file, you have created in the last step or you can put all details one by one in the list
- Once you have uploaded the sheet, you will be on a page something like this.
Step 6 (Manage Your Email List Professionally) : Assemble Everything Needed For First Campaign
In this step, we will arrange all the information you would need before creating a campaign.
- You must start with attractive subject line for the mailer
- You should start your first campaign with a greeting message and after it sends other emails
- The sender display name should be visible to the receiver
- While creating the content of the email, you can choose to add attributes (or fields) of users in the content as well. For example, you can start with “Dear [first name]”. While the email will be sending, these attributes will be replaced by actual data in real time.
- You can mention attributes in the subject line as well. For example, “[first name], Welcome to my subscriber’s List”
STEP 7 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): CREATE YOUR FIRST EMAIL CAMPAIGN
Now we are well prepared to create the first campaign. You can send the email to your entire list or you can create specific segments. So simply click on “create campaign” button and set a campaign name.
After that, Select option Plain-Text campaign and go to next window. Here, Select the List or Segment you have.
After the list sectioning, You get a new window. Here fill the all basic information like Email Subject, From Email ID, sender ID and click Next.
After filling details, Go to next window and select Email template. Here you get many template design. So select “Simple Text” and go to next and write content for email.
In case, If you have mentioned attributes in the email content or subject, You can replace that will appropriate tags.
Step 8 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Test your Email
Like a chef, after making the dish he tests the flavor before his customer. So, It is must to test and read the email before anyone. In Email Marketing, Testing your email is necessary and always test your email before sending. You should test the mail by at least two people.
So, Simply go to the Preview and test section and send a test email.
Step 9 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): You’re All Set to Send!
If we talk about the corporate world, companies They send emails to millions of people daily. And there is no single mistake acceptable in Email Marketing. So take it seriously. Big Power comes with Big Responsibilities.
Now click on Next button and then click on SEND button.
Step 10 (Manage Your Email List Professionally): Report Analysis
This is the last step and important because after sending emails You have to evaluate the performance. Below some metrics used to analyze the performance. If you have 50% open rate, It means your subscribers are really interested in your content.
- Open Rate: It is the number/percentage of people who opened your email.
- Click Rate: It is the number/percentage of people who clicked on any link in your email.
- Unsubscriptions: It is the number of people who unsubscribed from your email list.
- Marked Spam: It is the number of people who marked your email as spam.
Well, you have touched all the basic points about Email Marketing through this tutorial “How to Manage Your Email List Professionally Using MailChimp”. Email Marketing is a magical part of Digital Marketing. Hope you enjoy this tutorial.
Thank you! Keep Learning!